The full Masterclass
This class is an introduction to preparing 3D models or CAD files for JigSpace. By the end of this session, you will be confident in using our Blender template to best prepare your 3D models for importing into JigSpace, ensuring optimal performance across different mobile devices and embedding in websites.
What is ‘model prep’?
Model prep (short for 'preparation') refers to the processes applied to CAD files, to make them render faster and smoother in JigSpace. The best models:
- Have a low polycount, but retain the model's relevant detail.
- Have a small number of grouped sub-objects.
- Are positioned correctly in the JigSpace scene.
- Are sliced to show any necessary details of internal components.
How we prepare models at JigSpace
At JigSpace we use Blender to prepare our models. Blender is a free software, and can achieve all the processes needed to successfully prepare your model for JigSpace. These processes include:
- Optimizing your model (reducing the polycount).
- Scaling and positioning your model.
- Grouping or ungrouping sub-objects within your model.
- Splitting your model, or sub-objects within your model.
The JigSpace Blender template
At JigSpace, we have developed a simplified template, which strips down the hundreds of functions available in Blender. What we include in our template, are the main and necessary functions needed to prepare your model for JigSpace.
Please access our Jig Blender template here. This link also includes:
- Documentation on how to use our template.
- The hairdryer model to practice model preparation.
The stages of preparing your model
While we recommend watching the full class above, we've also separated it into 4 shorter videos below. Each video covers a different stage of the model prep process. These videos are great if you want to up-skill in one specific area.
1 of 4: Positioning models in Blender
This section teaches you how to correctly position your models for the JigSpace scene.
In this section, you'll learn how to:
- Reposition your model.
- Scale your model.
2 of 4: Grouping models in Blender
Grouping models allows you to easily add materials, colors, and move your model in JigSpace.
In this section, you'll learn about:
- JigSpace optimization targets.
- Joining objects into groups.
- Separating groups into sub-objects.
- Separating all meshes into sub-objects.
3 or 4: Optimization
One of the best ways to reduce the size of your model is by optimizing it correctly.
This section will teach you to:
- Cleanup your CAD model's mesh.
- Optimimize your polycount.
- Recalculate your object's normals.
- Fix a model's flipped normals.
- Split through your CAD model.
4 of 4: Exporting models into JigSpace
This section will teach you best practices to successfully bring your model into JigSpace.
This section, will teach you:
- How to best export your model.
- How to import your model into JigSpace.